Development Approval – Major and Minor Projects

As part of the Development Approval process, Campus Planning is responsible for assessing project conformance with the UBC Okanagan Campus Plan and the accompanying UBC Okanagan Design Guidelines, as well as municipal zoning for the campus, and for providing the campus community with the opportunity to review and comment on the schematic design. Following the issuance of a Development Approval from CP, all construction and building projects require a Building Permit (BP) from the City of Kelowna. The City of Kelowna may also require a Natural Environment, Hazardous Condition, NAV Canada, and/or Farm Protection Development Permit for a project, as applicable. Transport Canada and NAV Canada approval is required for buildings exceeding specified heights.

Minor Project Development Approval

Minor institutional projects have less significant impacts on the built environment due to their limited size or scope. Examples are minor exterior changes to existing buildings, small temporary structures, or landscape changes. Learn more here (new page with information to come- currently in development).

Major Project Development Approval

Major Institutional projects are projects that significantly impact the built environment due to their size and footprint. Typically, these are new academic buildings, student residences, or athletic facilities. Learn more here (new page with information to come- currently in development).

Outdoor Research/Land Use Approval

Research and teaching proposed to occur on exterior campus lands require an Outdoor Research/Land Use Approval from Campus Planning. The campus is generally viewed as a living laboratory that allow for research and teaching opportunities to take advantage of the unique campus setting and environment. All projects will be assessed first on research and academic merits by the UBC Okanagan Office of Research Services (ORS) to confirm relevance to UBC’s academic mission.

Following confirmation, CP will ensure that the research requests comply with the UBC Okanagan Campus Plan and UBC Okanagan Design Guidelines, and are compatible with adjacent land uses or other approved research spaces. Should the proposal include the construction of any new buildings or structures, then a Development Approval from CP would also be required.

To apply for an approval to undertake an outdoor research or teaching project on campus, visit the ORS website to submit an application to the UBC Okanagan ORS.

Street and Landscape Approval

Proposed changes to a street, landscape or below- and above-grade infrastructure require a Street and Landscape Approval from CP. Such changes include new utility infrastructure, landscape alterations, road and pathway improvement, and outdoor public art. The Street and Landscape Approval process ensures that any proposed changes comply with the UBC Okanagan Campus Plan and UBC Okanagan Design Guidelines.

Sign Approval

All proposed permanent exterior signs and wayfinding require Sign Approval from CP. The review process is to ensure that campus signage complies with UBC Wayfinding: Exterior Signage Standards and Guidelines and UBC Okanagan Design Guidelines, to achieve continuity in UBC’s signage system and consistency with UBC’s visual identity. Signage at the Okanagan Campus must also comply with the City of Kelowna Sign Bylaw (and secure a Sign Permit) where applicable.

The installation of posters, window decals, bulletins, banners and temporary displays do not require a Sign Approval from CP. However, they must comply with Board of Governors’ Policy No. UP8, where applicable, in addition to guidelines administered by CP that regulate their location and installation.  Click here for more information on these requirements.

Filming and Photography Approval

All commercial and student filming and photography proposed for the UBC campuses is coordinated and approved by Community Development, who work with Campus Planning (CP) and other administrative groups on the UBC Okanagan campus to ensure that there is no disruption or cost to the University resulting from these activities.

For more information or to apply to film or photograph on campus, refer to the Community Development Filming and Photography.