ABOUT THE DEVELOPMENT APPROVAL PROCESS
Development Approval from Campus Planning is required for all new buildings, additions, and substantive exterior projects on campus, including outdoor research, landscaping and permanent signage.
The UBC Okanagan Campus Plan supports the academic mission, values and commitments of the University by providing a framework for physical growth and change on campus that in turn provides academic, social, financial, and environmental benefits. Successful implementation of the Campus Plan relies largely upon effective project review and approval processes for all capital projects initiated by specific academic departments, ancillary units or third-party leaseholders.
Development Approval is required if a project involves:
- developing a new permanent, semi-permanent or temporary building
- making an addition to an existing building or moving an existing building
- making significant changes to the exterior appearance of an existing building, including the addition of communications infrastructure
- undertaking work that impacts campus lands, such as landscaping, ecological enhancement, street furniture, site lighting, street access or loading docks
- using campus lands for conducting outdoor research and/or teaching
- permanent exterior signage
If there is uncertainty whether an approval from Campus Planning (CP) is required, the Associate Director, Campus Planning, should be contacted for further information and confirmation.
In all cases, project proposals will be assessed through a review against the endorsed objectives in the Campus Plan and through discussion with other departments and relevant committees. The principles, policies and guidelines in the Campus Plan and the accompanying UBC Okanagan Design Guidelines apply to all capital projects, as well as other applicable Board-approved policies.
The following approval processes apply to projects at the Okanagan Campus:
- Development Approval
- Outdoor Research/Land Use Approval
- Street and Landscape Approval
- Sign Approval
- Filming & Photography Approval
Project proponents are encouraged to consult with CP prior to commencing design concepts to ensure a full understanding of the context and design issues for a given project.